Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Minnie Me Dollies

I have a group of crafty mom friends who are forever inspiring, encouraging and supporting me!  They really are a wonderful group of women!  Without them, it would be much harder to cope with all the challenges of life in Angola.  So recently, some of them were making Waldorf type dolls for their daughters.  It all started when Steph Carton (The Eli Monster cloth diapers) made this darling doll named "Wei" for her daughter, using a doll form.  I don't know if you know this, but waldorf dolls are expensive!  They are made with all natural materials and are hand-made with care.  One way to make them a little more affordable, is to make some parts yourself, that way you can customize it too!  So, she purchased sort of a blank doll and then embroidered the face, added the gorgeous hair and made her darling outfits.

This is Wei.  Her favorite color is "rainbow".  She wears custom undies made by The Eli Monster (pattern soon to be released) and likes to bathe in the kitchen sink.


Next, Karin Baker (Domino Pads) decided to make one too!  She spun the hair herself from wool roving.  And she made the entire doll from scratch!  She started out buying a doll form but ended up wanting more details, like the more life-like eyes and the sculpted fingers and toes.  She even made her a dress to match her daughter's dress too!

Karin's daughter just got this gorgeous dollie for her birthday! Aren't they  both just adorable?! And those matching frocks (*sigh & smile*)!

Actually, Karin got bitten so badly by the doll-making bug, she started making some to sell!  They are unbelievably gorgeous!  When she takes up a new interest, she really goes for it!  She is all about the fun, the love and quality!  Here are some of the dolls she has been making:

Aren't they amazing?!  Check out her shop, Spinster's Fairytales to see more.  She even sells the yarn for the hair if you wish to make your own doll.

And then, Gretchen (formerly of Smox on Etsy- we have two of her art smox that we LOVE) decided to make "Astoria" for her daughter, also for a birthday present. She also used a doll form and chose beautiful aqua hair.

On the left is the doll form with the yarn laid on top.  Look how happy the little birthday girl looks!  So sweet!

So, of course, my kids needed dollies too!  I so wished I could buy a doll form (or be as quick a learner as Karin)...... but, alas!  I have to make due with what I have on hand.  I knew right away which yarn I would use for their hair.  It is hand spun wool that I got through trades from another crafty mom friend (Spindle Spun who I know from diaperswappers).  I have been trying to come up with worthy projects for a long time.

Rainbow wool for my daughter's.  Sarah hand dyed and spun the blue/green/rust wool (middle pic) for my son.  We experimented with dyes (coffee, tea & fiber reactive) on suedecloth and bamboo jersey to try to match their skin tones.  I decided to leave the blue marker off the doll's skin though.

I started with the boy doll for my son since there is no shortage of girl dolls in this house already.  I roughly followed this tutorial, but I had some batting that I decided to use for the head and then I used some stuffing for the body.  For the girl doll, I was all out of stuffing, so I unstuffed a throw pillow that I didn't need.  The boy doll turned out kind of heavy, and the girl doll much lighter (& a little smaller).

I made the eyes and mouth bigger than a usual Waldorf doll just because I was trying to make him look a little more like my son.
So, here they are, both dolls along with their current wardrobes:


Obviously, I have been making some clothing for the dolls too: Undies (girl's from The Eli Monster's pattern, boxers from my pattern).  I made some jeans, a cardigan, and a hat for the boy, and a sweater, a lacy knitted skirt, and another pair of undies for the girl. All the other clothes (the two knitted vests, the knitted dress, and all the booties) were my kids' newborn clothes.  What luck they fit their dolls!  I had been wondering what to do with those things I spent so much time making.....

My son on the left wearing the white knit vest, and in the middle wearing a hat made from the same yarn as his dolls' hair.  My daughter on the right wearing the knit dress.  Do those two babies look alike or what?!

So, I know my dolls turned out very crude, lumpy and wonky, especially in comparison to the dolls above, but my kids love them, so I am calling it a success.



1 comment:

Chris said...

I like that photo of Karin’s daughter and the doll wearing the same kind of dress. It’s a really fantastic idea! It seems that you have a mini version of yourself, right? Haha! Cute!!

Chris Jeffery